3 Steps To Building an Audience on Facebook – Involver
When you’re just starting out on Facebook, you’ve got to figure out how to attract your initial fan base. Here are three key milestones to pass on Facebook, and there are good ways to get past each milestone, without ever having to spend a dime on ads.
#1: 25 Fans
Getting to 25 fans is a significant milestone for a brand new page. Once you’ve reached 25 fans, you’re allowed to set a vanity URL like facebook.com/citrusstudios Pages by default have a long, random number in them, Like Facebook.com/pages/Citrus-Studios/101681279873681 which is hard to promote.
The best way to reach 25 fan milestone is to send a message to your friends in Facebook with a link to the page and ask them to like your page. Like the one below:
Hello! I just started a new Facebook Page, and I need to have 25 fans before I can get a username for my page. I’d really appreciate you being one of the first 25 people to like my page – It will only take a few seconds. Thank you! [Insert your link here]
Once you get your 25 fans, claim your new vanity URL at facebook.com/username
#2: 100 Fans
Reaching 100 fans means that you’ll no longer be able to change the name of your Facebook Page — so make sure that you’ve got a name you like, *before* using these tactics.
The best method for getting to the 100 fan mark is to work your network. Announce your new vanity URL to your friends via a wall post on Facebook. Ask that your friends do 3 quick things to help:
(1) Like your page – if they haven’t already,
(2) Like your wall post and
(3) Share your new page by writing a post themselves.
Here’s a sample script:
I’ve just gotten a cool new username for my Facebook Page. Please help me grow the page by doing 3 quick things: (1) like the page, (2) like this wall post and (3) share this page with a Facebook update that says: “Check out my friend’s new page, [Insert your link here], for tips on how to market your business on Facebook.”
#3: 1000 Fans and Beyond
Having over 1000 fans shows prospective customers that you have a strong fan base on Facebook and gives you a large base of people to reach when you need to announce a sale, drive new sales, or otherwise interact with.
But reaching 1000 fans doesn’t need to be an expensive affair. The best way to reliably reach 1000 fans, is to take a slow growth strategy using the places you’re already getting others attention.
If you have a website, utilize social plugins like the Like Button and Like Box, they are free to add to your site and they do a great job of turning website visitors into fans.
If you have an email list, send an email inviting them to Like you on Facebook.
If you operate a physical store, add some signage to your window, next to your cash register, or on your receipt.
The ideas are endless, and different for every business, but think about places where you are already getting attention from people and where you could ask them to become your fan on Facebook!
Many thanks to Roland Smart of Involver for the content of this article.
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- awards (10)
- Bookshelf (4)
- branding (2)
- Citrus clients (29)
- Citrus Studios (120)
- conferences (1)
- core values (4)
- e-commerce (1)
- entepreneurship (10)
- event (16)
- fun (19)
- holiday (12)
- Infographic (6)
- inspiration (17)
- Kalika Yap (17)
- Leadership (9)
- mobile (1)
- outside activities (14)
- Print Design (1)
- SEO (2)
- social media (40)
- Technology (10)
- Tips (16)
- Uncategorized (47)
- Video Design (1)
- web design (24)
- Web Site Design (13)
- citruswebdesign on Presentation Tips- The Rule of Three
- georgeforfun on Inspiration of the day
- sonny on Inspiration of the day
- ankushmehta on Inspiration of the day
- Eric Green on Citrus is now certified as a Google AdWords Partner!
- San Diego SEO Services on 21 Expert SEO Tips
- online form generator on Presentation Tips- The Rule of Three
- taking classes online on Presentation Tips- The Rule of Three
- Magda on 100 Social Networking Statistics & Facts for 2012
- child safety booster seat law on Asian Journal – Kalika Yap. Pinay Serial Entrepreneur